We talk all about more on Education.....

, ,

Why I am standing for EDUCANZ (anyway)

Source

Let's get a few things straight first.

Of course I am disappointed that we are losing a democratic means of voting on at least some of the council.

Of course I am disappointed that we are moving from a Code of Ethics to a Code of Conduct.

In fact I campaigned against these very things here and here.

And whilst I understand that PPTA's ballot is a matter of principle and was voted on, I simply do not understand how it will change anything.

Whether PPTA and members choose to "not accept nomination or appointment to the EDUCANZ council nor participate in the body’s consultation processes" or not does not change the fact that it will go ahead...regardless. 


PPTA have made a stand (fair enough, I respect that) but they have also ensured that there will be fewer left leaning and incredibly important voices missing in the establishment of EDUCANZ and throughout the code of conduct process. This is a crying shame.

I am also disappointed that in choosing to stand for EDUCANZ anyway it means I am forced to step down from the PPTA. I am a person who has deeply and passionately supported the PPTA as a member and as a part of the PPTA ICT Advisory Group. But I respect PPTA has made a decision, so I will leave, for now at least.

In terms of why I want to stand for EDUCANZ, here is some of my thinking.

I believe I could bring an articulate and positive secondary voice to EDUCANZ. I am passionate and well informed about educational issues and constantly seek ways to support and challenge NZ educators to be future-focused, open and reflective, as well as being recognised as the hardworking professionals they are.

I am very eager to be part of this establishment phase of EDUCANZ and would relish the opportunity to be involved in developing a vision for professional learning and ways we may lift the status of the teaching profession and publicly recognise the role quality teaching and educational leadership plays in raising student achievement. I also hope to be actively involved in the consultation process for developing the Code of Conduct. If it is going to happen, I want to do what I can to ensure it is the best it can be. 

As well as this, I believe I could bring a future-focused lens that will be important when reviewing or further developing the existing Graduating Teacher Standards and Registered Teacher Criteria - remember there is much more to EDUCANZ than non-democratic selection processes and a Code of Conduct. 

If we care about the future of our sector, well I reckon we need to be willing to be "at the table" talking about all of the issues.

To close, I want to come back to the statement made by PPTA “Members of EDUCANZ must understand that they will serve the minister and the government of the day ‒ not the teaching profession.”

I simply don't agree.

Handpicking aside, this council will be an independent statutory body which means it will not serve the minster anywhere near as directly as it does now. 

And I do I see myself as serving the teaching profession...in everything I do. At present I am a member of the NZTC (as secondary representative), the NetSafe board, N4L reference board, AUT Ed Futures team, NZQA brainstorming group and a member of Minister Kaye’s 21st Century Education Reference Group as well as being a Deputy Principal at a new secondary school where we make it our business to share our practice as widely as possibly. Aside from my main job I get paid nothing for any other roles. I do it because I am driven by a deep seated belief that we must change education to better serve the young people of New Zealand. I don't pretend to ever speak for the teaching profession, but I do serve it. Proudly. 

Of course I may not succeed in getting on EDUCANZ. At least I will (in my mind at least) have done the right thing.

At least I know I will have tried.
Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment